Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Book II of Utopia cont.

In the second half of Book II, Thomas More tells more about his ideas for the perfect society. Those things are as followed along with my ideas on each:

  • Thomas More believed that slaves shouldn't be taken unless they are people who have committed crimes. I agree with this because it is a very effective way to punish criminals and at the same time, the community benefits from they work they have to do.
  • People that volunteered to work as slaves in More's Utopia were treated with respect and paid money for their services. This is a good thing because these people work hard to make money and are helping others in return.
  • More believed that those who are dying from a painful disease should be able to recieve help in dying. I agree because these people are suffering and are going to die soon. If death is inevitable they shouldn't have to suffer towards it.
  • In More's perfect society, women weren't married before 18 and men before 22. Also, they were not to have sex before marriage and those who do are punished. This keeps them responsible and gives them time to be able to make a good decision about marriage.
  • More believed that divorces shouldn't be allowed unless adultery occurs and the sufferer can remarry but the guilty are punished and can never remarry. This is a good thing because marriage should be forever but if one person is betrayed they shouldn't be punished further for something they didn't do.
  • In More's Utopia, there are few laws that are set for the people. He believed that with too many it would be hard to follow. I agree with this because with too many it is hard to even know all the laws let alone follow them.
  • More was against war and all his people thought it a practice of beasts. He also believed that there was no greater victory than that of great conduct. I agree with this because war doesn't solve anything but causes death instead. Also, more bloodshed just causes more hatred between societies.
  • More believed that it would be best to avoid endangering his own men and leave the action for the ones they hire. I disagree with this because while it is good for their people it sets up their friends to possibly die. I think instead they should fight for each other equally.

1 comment:

sharlyn said...

I also agree with you that slaves should not be taken unless they committed a crime, although I also do not think slaves should be part of Utopia anyways. I do agree with you that the way they take care of their elders/ dying is wonderful and the age limit on marriages is also a good idea. Much like an age limit on drinking, smoking, and driving. I also agree with you that they should fight their own wars, although war itself is a horrible thing.