Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Comparisons between BNW and our society
The biggest comparison I have found between the Brave New World and our modern society is between their drug, soma, and our modern drugs. Many people use drugs as an escape from reality just as the people in BNW do. Although their drug is legal and has no after effects, our society has many people who cherish drugs just as they do. Another comparison I found was between their "orgy-porgy's" and present day cluts and/or religions. As in cults/religious groups, they met in groups and worshiped something. They shared one cup just as Christians share their communion cup. Although the activities were completely different they shared similar qualities. The last similarity I found was the entertaining people do for themselves. People watch movies, play sports, and listen to music just as people in BNW do. At the same time they still maintain order in their society with guidance from the government.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I agree that soma and our modern drugs are used for the same purpose. I also found comparing the "orgy-porgy" and cults/religious group interesting. However, I thought the "orgy-porgy" was more of a cult although they had a few similarities with christianity.
I agree with the soma, but our meds don't have as much affect as soma did in the book.
You had some good points and I admit that I never saw the "orgy-porgy" as a cult, but it does have a lot of the same qualities.
i find it surpirising that everyone talked about how the soma and drug thing being a similarity when we really dont have a drug that gives such steller effects without any bad side effects
You found some interesting similarities. I didn't realize how their "orgy porgies" were similar to things we have today.
Post a Comment